As a wine PR person, what’s on your checklist?
- Sending a holiday card to writers (please add a handwritten touch or don’t bother)
- Having a big holiday open house? Is there room to invite writers? Think about it!
- A year-end note of thanks to writers who’ve done stories on your winery?
- Doing some careful brainstorming about any trends or new or different things you’ve seen either in your winery tasting room or in your sales efforts OR in your vineyard: note these somewhere so you’re prepared if a writer gets in touch who’s doing a year-end trend story
- Checking your website: is there a holiday message of some type?
- Double check the tasting room & the winery entrance: how are those decorations? A little shabby from last year? Tasteful? Eco-friendly? True to your positioning?
- Do you have room in your budget to send any small gifts to writers? Don’t just send something commercial or mass-market….what about a food product? Something artisanal and unusual?
- Time on your hands? What about calling up a writer or two and going to lunch?
- Get ready for the boss asking you for “the best reviews we’ve gotten this year!” Do you have compilations by specific wine? By publication?